Skip to main content
Establishing Breastfeeding is Course 2 of the Breastfeeding Bundle.
Childbirth and breastfeeding is an extraordinary and challenging life event, which profoundly influences a woman's physical, social and emotional well-being.
The care, information and emotional support that the midwife offers a woman, and her chosen companions sets the scene to protect the woman's physical well-being and nurture her emotional strengths, as she becomes a mother.
This course addresses 5 to 11 of the twenty core competencies that the Baby Friendly Health Initiative (BFHI) considers essential skills for all personnel who counsel and assist breastfeeding women.
• Help a mother to recognise when her baby is ready to initiate breastfeeding while in skin to-skin contact after birth.
• Support a mother to position herself and her baby for breastfeeding.
• Support a mother to attach her baby to the breast, encouraging baby-led attachment.
• Assess a breastfeed; including teaching a mother how to monitor milk transfer.
• Explain to a mother about feeding cues and the optimal pattern of breastfeeding.
• Using hands-off techniques, assist a mother to express her breast milk.
• Explain to a mother how to know if her baby is getting enough milk.
Birthing on Country
Congenital CMV: Prevention is in your hands